Friday, July 31, 2009

Accessory Spotlight: The Headband

There are many material things I love in this world; cookware, cameras, movies. This being a blog about the fashion conglomerate, I am going to focus (for this post at least) on an item I simply cannot get enough of: The timeless Headband and it's offspring.


For me, the headband, the hair tie/clip and the head wrap is the cherry on top to a look. After getting a drastically short hair cut, the headband entered at full force when my hair suddenly wasn't long enough. I buy them, modify them and make them to suit my style and taste. For example, a basic thin black plastic head band became adorable once I attached to it a white bow hair clip, aside and slightly askew. With my slowly growing head of hair no longer feeling naked, I now had a preppy look often seen on the head of Leighton Meester's character, Blair, on Gossip Girl.

My collection ranges from those I've made out of scrap fabric or lace, to the stiff hard plastic variety (the pink one below) that make it hard to wear glasses at the same time. They're all kept in a medium sized basket (now overflowing) on my dresser. I would get a larger basket, however my dresser wouldn't be big enough to put it on.

My basket:


On almost daily trips to the mall, I head to my hair "prettifying" mecca: Ardene. They have a 9'x9' foot wall on headbands and head wraps alone, all arranged in a textile rainbow, plus mini aisles of hair clips/ties of varying sizes and styles. The prices are unbelievably easy on my pocket, from 3.99 each to 3 for $1o. Some of which come as a set, which adds to the value and my savings . I am quite sure the salespeople are either tired of seeing me, or are grateful that I am contributing my money to their quarterly profits.

For even more penny-pinching on my part (and somewhat of an impulse) I go to Dollarama and pick up a few cheapies and hope that they last. My recent purchase was an 8-pack of thin elastic bands in metallic varying colours, much to my mother's dismay.

Is this an addiction? Not in the slightest. Once my hair grows out to a length where headbands are no longer necessary for me, I'll use what I have on hand to go with my varying hairstyles. I'll probably have enough by then to start selling them back to stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment